Saturday, April 17, 2010

Bucking the system

Oh man. I really did it this time. A fellow parent from the school my son attends (the same one I work at) asked me to participate in a meeting withe the superintendant, assistant superintendant, and a school board member about the issues at the school. I agreed and went representing other concerned parents and also the paras at the school who feel like things are out of control and we have no support from the principal.

I think the meeting was eye-opening for the administration. No one has really said anything about all of the behaviors at the school because they worry about not having a job next year if they speak up. I also really believe that the principal is not correctly reporting the incidents as I know for a fact that many of them are down-played. Things like weapons, fighting on the buses, and the like. It's disgusting and not a safe environment. Most of the kids she seems to be lenient with are the kids that bussed in from N. Minneapolis. So happy that my tax dollars are paying for troubled students from other districts to be bussed to my neighborhood school where they make life a living hell for the teachers, staff and students. Good thing the principal protects them though. It would be a shame if they were actually held accountable for their actions instead of being allowed to continue to blame others.

We'll see if anything happens from the meeting. It's not that I don't like the principal, it's just that she's not doing her job and next year she'll be at a K-5 school and I am concerned that the problems will just follow her there.

No comments: